Friday, December 11, 2009

store owner

I had never really asked a guy out before. I had just broken up with Long Term Ex-Boyfriend (LTExB) and was on the rebound, and on it hard.

It was summer, and I was bored, so I took a retail job, where I was highly overqualified and extremely underpaid. But the other gals were sweet and I needed something to fill my days.

The store owner from next door wasn't my usual type, but I think after nearly 5 years with LTExB, I didn't really have a type; my type was anyone who wasn't him.

After a few weeks of casual encounters, ("Can you make change for this $50?" "Can I borrow the ladder?" "You look nice today, I like your dress.") I decided to take matters into my own hands. Armed with a business card (not my own) with my number on the back, I waltzed into his store and asked to speak to him. A rather homely girl said he was busy, and asked if she could help me. I wanted to say goodness, honey, no, but I could sure help you. Instead I asked if she could send Store Owner next door when he had a minute.

5, 10, 15, 20 minutes later, I was still waiting. The other gals at my store, who were all still in college, had been impressed with my confidence. As we started on 30 minutes, I started to sweat, but didn't want to let them see me losing my cool.

Finally he walked in, and I casually handed him my card and said he should call me sometime to hang out.

He called me that night. We spent a few weeks hanging out, doing the usual: watching movies, going to movies, cuddling.

The homely girl turned out to be his ex. A few months earlier, she had slept with his best friend. At his house. And for some reason, she was still employed by him.

He and I hung out until she caught wind, at which point she threw a fit. They got back together a few weeks later.

Fast forward a year, and he bought her an engagement Mercedes to go along with the huge ring. She's still homely.

I saw him a few weeks ago. He said I looked beautiful. I congratulated him on his engagement.

"Oh yeah. Thanks," he said sheepishly.

He left, and a customer standing near us turned and said, "I don't know the story, honey, but he's got a thing for you."

"He did," I said. "But he chose someone else."

No comments:

Post a Comment